by Elizabeth Cavallari
William & Mary law students are completing their first week of classes today, and we are thrilled with the 1Ls among them. The 227 members of the Class of 2016 represent 40 states, DC, and citizenship in two other countries. A large proportion of our students are from Virginia, but we also have strong representation from New York, California, Pennsylvania, Florida, and others.
Here are some interesting facts about members of the 1L class:
- Three engaged in a great books curriculum during college.
- Twenty-four have been honored with membership in Phi Beta Kappa.
- Seventy-one have taken advantage of study abroad programs.
- One is a Fulbright Scholar.
- Eleven served in the military.
- Over half the class has strong experience volunteering and engaging in community service.
- One received the Presidential Volunteer Service Award Gold Level for logging 400+ hours of volunteering.
- Others founded a military charity race, coached Girls on the Run, and volunteered with a homeless running program.
- Nine are Eagle Scouts, and one achieved her Gold Award.
- Thirty-eight participated in varsity sports.
- One coordinated three TEDx series on his undergraduate campus.
For more information about the Class of 2016, click here. We are excited to have them in the William & Mary community!