by Elizabeth Cavallari
In late January, the Law School gathered to celebrate the publication of St. George Tucker’s Law Papers. You might ask– who is St. George Tucker?
He was the second law faculty at William & Mary, after George Wythe. Tucker was an influential state and federal judge and a scholar that made substantial contributions to the legal profession and legal study in the United States by publishing 5-volume set of Blackstone’s Commentaries in the early 19th century.
Charles Hobson, a specialist in the constitutional and legal history of the beginnings of the United States, worked with the University of North Carolina Press in conjunction with William and Mary’s Omohundro Institute of Early American History. Hobson’s work culminated in the publication of his three-volume St. George Tucker’s Law Reports and Selected Papers, 1782-1825.
Many students, faculty, staff, and friends of the Law School came together to celebrate St. George Tucker and Charles Hobson for putting together this importance piece of William & Mary and American history.
To read the full story, click here.